Mercer is proud to call Macon home. We wouldn’t be who we are without this city and its history, traditions, and culture. From being the home to some of the greatest Southern Rock musicians to some of the state’s most beautiful historic houses, it doesn’t take long for students to feel at home here, too. There’s always something fun going on! Check out some of our favorite things to do and places to go around town…
Top 4 Festivals and Markets
- International Cherry Blossom Festival – Did you know that Macon is the cherry blossom capital of the world? Each spring, it hosts the pinkest party on earth – the Cherry Blossom Festival.
- Bragg Jam – Like music? Look no further. Bragg Jam is Macon’s biggest local music festival, bringing in a little bit of everything for everyone.
- Georgia National Fair – Get your fix of local arts and crafts, fair food, and carnival rides every October. Just make sure you try all the rides before you try the food.
- Mulberry Market – Stroll through this weekly market in the park across from campus to get anything from fresh produce to handmade soaps, crafts, and more.
Top 5 Places to Explore Outdoors
- Tattnall Square Park – Directly across from campus, Tattnall is a great place to hang up your Eno and study…or nap.
- Coleman Hill – If you want one of the best views in town, Coleman Hill is the place to go. While you’re there, try out the cool concrete slide.
- Amerson River Park – Looking for a quiet place to go for a jog, a walk, or a picnic? Amerson River Park is the place for you.
- River Walk – Take a break from studying and stroll along this 2 mile trail that follows the Ocmulgee River.
- Lake Tobosofkee – I bet you thought Macon doesn’t have any beaches. Drive about 15 minutes off campus and you can lounge by the water all day at Lake Tobo! Just bring $3.00 to cover your park entrance.
Top 6 Places to Eat
- The Rookery – A Macon staple, it’s pretty much unanimous that The Rookery has the best burgers in town!
- Bearfoot Tavern – Sitting inside is fun, but you’d be missing out if you didn’t sit on the back patio at Bearfoot, especially on a Friday or Saturday night when there’s live music.
- The Bear’s Den – Just a block from campus, The Bear’s Den is Southern cooking at its finest! Keep in mind – it’s only open during lunch hours.
- Margarita’s – Located in Mercer Village, you don’t have to go far at all to eat the best Mexican food in town.
- Jim Shaw’s – If you like seafood and a casual, cozy dining experience, then you don’t want to miss Jim Shaw’s.
- Ingleside Village Pizza (IVP) – Only a short drive from campus, go to IVP and enjoy an eclectic atmosphere while you eat the best pizza in Macon. Good to know: it’s closed on Mondays.
Macon is beloved by everyone including Mercer’s student body. One Mercer Alumni loved Macon so much after she graduated that she stayed in Macon and now works to make Macon even better than it already is! We’ve asked her to share her favorite Macon spots with us. Take a listen.
Macon is a special place and we can’t wait for you to discover that too! What will you find in Macon that you love?